Thursday 17 May 2012

Postcard No. 1 Leigh on Sea, Essex


I had many reasons for buying this postcard. The first being that it is a view not that far from me. And is a path i have walked along with the sea on one side and the railway on the other.  I just love the animation in the picture. Families strolling along by the sea whilst their children run on the beach and paddle in the sea.  The second reason is that this is a card posted in August 1914 one month after the outbreak of WW1.
It has a bitter sweet feel to it and i wonder how many of the men in the picture went on to their deaths in France and beyond.
The years from late 19th century up to 1918 are the period of history i most enjoy and the reason so many of my postcards that i intend to feature on this blog, will be from that era.
Sadly at some point in its life a previous owner has seen fit to go over the text in green highlighter which along with the card having been written in pencil now makes it very hard to fully decipher.  I can't be certain of either name so my research has been very limited, but here is what i have found.

*********************************************************************





Lower Walk, Leigh on Sea – Posted on 31st August 1914

Addressed to:
Mr G. Husby?
281 Portobello Road,
Notting Hill

Message:
Dear George,
Hope you arrived home safe and was ready for work on Monday morning. It rather dull here this morning but that does not affect us much.
With best of love,
From
Alice Bysouth?
c/o Mrs Frost
?? Leigh Ville Grove
Leigh on Sea

Research
I reckon Mrs Frost is Lillie Frost of 59 Leighville Grove, Leigh on Sea. Alice is staying with her, maybe for the summer?

I believe Alice’s name may be Bysouth.  I have found a lot of Bysouths in Romford but can’t say for sure if it is her obviously, so don’t think I’ll find out much about her.

The fact that she writes her address on the bottom of her message suggests that George is not a relative or he would have known the address but someone she has met maybe who she wants to reply to her.

I have looked up George Husby, Hasby, Harby but nothing coming up with that address so may do an address search on 1911census site.

Address search found nothing. George was not living there in 1911, but the people who lived at that address in 1911 also had a boarder so maybe George was boarding in 1914.

Without a confirmation of George or Alice’s last names I can’t really go any further.

I wasn't particularly lucky with this one but thats the way it goes. If you have any knowledge of anybody mentioned in this post please contact me at the email address on the right of my blog.



No comments:

Post a Comment