Friday 18 May 2012

Postcard No. 2 - A Joyous Birthday


This is one of 3 cards i bought from a seller on eBay because of the beautiful photos on the front. I thought they made a nice change from the scenic type too.




A Joyous Birthday

To:
Miss T Maiden
6 Somers Road,
Halesowen
Nr. Birmingham

Card is franked but the year has not come out.
Stamp is a 1 Penny red with George V so date may be between 1911 and 1935.
Also the card is made in Great Britain rather than the more common ones which were printed in Berlin so it could mean its post WW1.

Message reads:
Dear Trissie,
Just a card to wish you a Happy Birthday & I hope you will have lots of good things.  Will you thank Aunty dear for her letter, and tell her I will answer it as soon as ever I get time.
With heaps of love & xxx from Elsie.


Searching in the 1911 census I could not find a T. Maiden so I next went to 1911census site and used their address search.  I found the house and the family were called Maiden but there was no T. Maiden. Looking down the list of children I found a Beatrice Annie Maiden. Trissie must be short for Beatrice. What a lovely name.
Beatrice is 5 in the 1911 census so if we say its after WW1 then she may be 13 perhaps.  Her father John was a jobbing gardener from Kidderminster, Worcs and at the time she had 3 siblings,  Edwin John,  Reginald William & Percy.

In the message, Elsie says to thank Aunty which may mean Beatrice’s mother, so Elsie and Beatrice would be cousins.

It’s a sweet message and a beautiful photo on the front.

If you know anything about this card or if you think I have made a mistake, please let me know via the email address on the right hand side of my blog.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's the message that very often makes the postcard come alive. I love your idea of researching the names and addresses through the census. I have a collection from a family that seems to span several generations. You've given me some ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila, thanks for coming to visit. I bet you can find loads about your collection, how great to have loads from one family. I'd love to see what you find out.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete