Thursday 10 May 2012

4 chicks - 1 week on

I can't believe its been a week already since my first chick hatched.  The owlbeard is a manic little soul, not keen on being picked up, it is growing wings and flexing them a lot. I am fairly certain 'it' is a 'he'. Mainly because he has been so loud with cheeping, has a long tail already even if it is fluffy at the moment and is generally full of himself. Remind you of anyone ladies?

The Speckled Sussex was second to hatch and is really tall now and full of beans.  Its quite a friendly little soul with some lovely markings. I cant wait for it to be fully feathered as they are a stunning looking chicken. 

The Brahma was third, and it is a sweetie too. Just as tall as they Sussex and as gentle too with a funny rolling gait as it walks. It is a bit of a gannet though and along with Sussex number 1 is first to the food bowls every day.

My last chick, my second Speckled Sussex ,who i never thought would survive beyond the first few hours is now hard to pick out amongst the other 4. It is not quite as tall as its brother/sister Sussex but is about 95% strong on its legs now and is developing a fairly healthy appetite.  To begin with we could not make it eat or drink but once it was showing signs of walking and balancing better we isolated it along with the brahma chick and amazingly the brahma literally turned 'mum' and showed it how to drink and eat and encouraged it to do so, even to the point of feeding it by mouth just as an adult bird would to its baby. it was fascinating to see and makes me love my little Brahma chick even more.

Anyway here they all are now, and sickly chick is second from right and looking great.

from l to r we have brahma, speckled sussex, speckled sussex, owlbeard

not so poorly now eh

2 comments:

  1. I found your blog through Pinterest (someone, albeit incorrectly, tried to link to your brooder) and am so happy that I did! I love that your fourth little chick was able to make it thus far! We have our first set of quail eggs hatching as I type, but our first guy has a nubby-type of foot that he doesn't use. Anyway, I loved reading the chick posts. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Your chicks foot may sort itself out overnight, they can look all screwed up like babies hands and feet at first. Im hoping it will be okay for you.

    Our poorly chick is fit and well and growing fast now, thank goodness

    Good luck with your hatching x

    ReplyDelete