Friday 1 June 2012

SEPIA SATURDAY - Postcard No. 4 - Mother's Love



I thought this would be appropriate for my second Sepia Saturday entry, it certainly has the theme of love running through it and the postcard is in sepia.  Let me know what you think.

Mother's Love

addressed to:
Miss H J Smith
c/o Central ? Coy.
Sampson Road N
Birmingham

Postmarked Dec 30th 1910 in Birmingham

Message:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (they have drawn a heart here)
to be had tomorrow

My own Beloved Darling Jess
I am sorry I have not a loving postcard to send you (you know the sort i mean) but i think this is rather nice don't you?  I think there is a love better than a mothers though!  Did you ask your Ma about the kiss. I shall be down at 6.30 tomorrow as promised. Get ready for a good loving.
Good bye Darling
with best love and everlasting ? ?
Your Val

Now i reckon this is a fairly racy postcard for 1910. You could read more into it because its sent to Jess from Val but Val or Valentine could also be a man's name or even a nickname.  They certainly seem to be very much in love/lust.
What did Val mean about Jess asking her Ma about the kiss? I wouldn't have thought that young people would ask their mothers about kisses with their girl/boyfriends, they'd be too embarrassed, wouldn't they?
Also what strikes me is that writing all that on a postcard which is open for all to read is a bit risky too. I could understand it in a sealed letter.

Going to the front of the postcard, it was the photo that made me buy it as the seller did not show the writing on the back. The photo is stunning and both models are gorgeous. I think there is a great resemblance between them so they may be mother and daughter.
I wonder who they were and if there is a record somewhere of people who posed for these postcards or if this was just a family portrait if they are credited somewhere for allowing the postcard manufacturer to use their image.
I love the verse at the top too...

What Love can match a mother's love?
            What care a Mother's care?
A heavenly blessing from above,
            A precious gift most rare.

I've not managed to turn up anything about Jess Smith or H. J. Smith on the 1911 census. Not surprising with a surname like Smith though.
The address is not clear but says something like C/o Central Many Coy.  I took Coy to be company as that can be a shortened version. So maybe Central ? Company.
To have addressed the postcard there and not at home would seem to suggest that it is possibly a military establishment or nurses home? somewhere that Jess is living as part of her job, otherwise he would have sent it to her home address surely.

I'd love to hear from you if these people are in your family tree and you can tell us what happened to Jess & Val


20 comments:

  1. What an odd message. I think the photo was probably done in a studio especially for printing on the card. It's too nice and staged to be a family photo.
    Wish I could help - but none of these people seem to be from my family.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes i love the photo, such beautiful subjects they make

    ReplyDelete
  3. It would have been a perfect Mothers Day card. But I'm thinking exactly the way you are. Curious!! I think Dear Val was probably the ultimate Bad Boy every girl loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could be right there Wendy, an Edwardian bad boy

      Delete
  4. Count me so curious too! But also it is just a wonderful photo of mommy and daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i love the picture, shame the message is not quite as innocent as the image eh

      Delete
  5. Central Mang Coy = Central Manufacturing Company, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was wondering that, thanks for your help Brett. Ill do some more research on it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gil,

    The card is beautiful, and the message is great. I wonder if he was joking with her about asking her mom about the kiss. Maybe when he first wanted to kiss her she teased him and said, "I need to ask my Mom first." Who knows for sure. "Get ready for some good loving!" Whoa!

    Great post,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathy, yes he could have been. He certainly didnt mind it being on an open postcard thats for sure.

      Gill

      Delete
  8. Do mothers and daughters pose like that these days? I can't see it happening somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what a shame though, i think the pose is adorable

      Delete
  9. Interesting combination of image and message.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty postcard with an interesting message. I think the word at the end of the last sentence is "devotion". See if you agree. Best of luck in learning more about these folks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Of course, Devotion, i hadnt considered that. Thank you, and thanks for visiting me again x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think it is a lovely card, the pose and the beautiful dresses, hairstyles and the little girls sweet face; I don't think we can compete with those sort of pictures. I think the sepia colour has a great impact on the ambiance of the setting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Titania for your kind words x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gill,

    I may be able to help, if you contact me through my website [heirs2u.org.uk ... don't worry, no charge ... I was as intrigued as the next !] ... I am fairly certain I have found her family on the 1891 to 1911c [haven't bothered looking further back]. Can I suggest, having searched for SMITH marriages to Val in the Birmingham area, that Val just simply stood for Valentine? ... [and a rather risqué one at that!]

    I think address line 1 was Central Manf {Manufaturing} Company [which went into liquidation in 1920, see www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31946/pages/6725/page.pdf]. The SMITH home address was 13 Sampson Road, which is a continuation south of Sampson Road North [Google Maps and have a stroll] :o)

    Regards, Fee aka Fiona Mitford @ heirs2u

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a racy valentine for 1910! And to send openly with no envelope to the lady's home? Val was living dangerously-and putting poor Jess' reputation on the line, too. Good loving? Really! ;)

    ReplyDelete